Tuesday, April 28, 2009

You Hear Eerie Music

I've been pretty down. I was once thought to have dysthymia, and now that I've looked it up, it seems to accurately describe me. Sometimes I'm confident, active, optimistic, and highly resistant to pain. Other times I'm nervous, lethargic, moody, and sensitive. These qualities vary in degree. Lately I've been more down than usual. I've been busy feeling miserable, even too miserable for pr0n, so I have gotten little done with Dungeon Quest or even posting on this blog.

On a similar note, I'm a misanthrope. I had a big spiel that including a variety of topics based on misanthropy. It didn't make the final cut. Being a misanthrope is tough. Not everyone is cut out for this type of life. One must develop deep-rooted mistrust and enmity for people over a long period of time to become a bona fide misanthrope like I am. And once those embers of paranoia are kindled, you can't simply live your life normally. No, you must act on your beliefs and not only limit your association with others, but take it a step further with the following techniques.
1) Don't turn your back to anyone.
2) Give vague, terse responses to strangers.
3) Avoid people and act inconspicuously while others are around.
4) Obscure traces of your ordinary activities.

In other news about myself, I've been running. I do this about once a year, though with varying seriousness. This time I think I'm serious. I normally think I'm serious, though, or I wouldn't bother. Anyway, my goal is to be able to sprint for a mile. I'm not close, but my cardio has improved a lot during the last two weeks. Seriously though, dead sprint for 5,280 feet, I'm doing it. Oh yeah, I also have to be faster than everyone. Don't ask who everyone is or I'll realize that I don't have a very solid goal.

I need a new game to play. I was thinking about going back to Wyvern because I see they're updating stuff, but the updates won't affect gameplay so I know that it's a bad idea. Plus there are so few workable builds. I tried to come up with some, but they were all flawed. I even realized that my teleporting archer build was flawed because many areas don't allow teleporting. Teleporting archer could be a very workable PvE build, though not nearly the XP machine that is the super fragile, but awesome whipster halfling.

I'm very proud of my halfling whipster. I think it has better survivability than a comparable build in the conjurer branch of the ranger guild. The ranger guild, you see, is a guild that gives bonuses to the whip skill and death magic, which is the element the magic whip spell depends on for damage. When you join you can choose to be a whipsman, which gets a percentage bonus to hp and negatives to magic elements (besides death and air) and arts (besides conjuration), or a conjurer, which gets a percentage bonus to sp and negatives to just the arts. Elements affect spell effectiveness and arts affect how much sp a spell costs, if you're wondering. Anyway, a halfling conjurer seems ideal because halfling have more sp than hp, thus a larger total increase since the increase is proportional. Throw in no negatives to elements and a bonus to meditation and it must be a lock, right? Well, I think the hp bonus makes for a much more rugged character that can use mana shield potions instead of having to use the spell, which means more skill points. Also, no spells are needed, so I only get the one lore I need to learn magic whip and lots of death to make it more powerful. That allows me to use equipment that gives a chance of spell failure since I don't need to spam spells. This isn't a big advantage because armor is broken and the best equipment doesn't bungle spells. It does mean that I can use black dragon scale mail for better petrification and acid resistance than the comparable non-bungling armor as well as a skull shield for fear immunity. Then I have skill points left over from not using spells and being a halfling to train strength and find-weakness. I also have plenty of healing and meditation so I don't have to wait very long to regenerate my hp and sp back. This guy might not be able to kill a beholder without running, but I firmly believe that he can gain XP faster than any other build, even though I don't have the resolve to prove this. I've made some progress, but it would take several days of game time to get to the top of the scores in xp/second.

My other idea which I still think has some promise is the mage warrior. This guy has probably been concieved numerous times in different variations by different people. My variation uses swords, heal with a partial mana shield, and prismatic shield. Could this work? Probably not, but prismatic shield gives the potential to pump all four skill points that a halfling gets per level into damage. Some side affects are powerful resistance spells and the ability to use lots of handy spells with all the lore prismatic shield takes. It should also be more survivable than my whipster. The negative is that this build never plateaus. At no points can you pump points into strength and find-weakness. Oh yeah, it's also hard, like all magic using builds, to equip. I don't like having to worry about non-bungling gear, but its end-game stuff should be good. I also don't think prismatic shield would give as good returns on damage per skill point as magic whip. Magic whip is truly god of DPS, even though it was relatively nerfed by the influx of new equipment.

It's entertaining to speculate about builds for Wyvern, but I don't feel like playing it at all. So I need a new game. I'll work on finding one. I don't think I'll have any luck finding a good RPG. That's one of the reasons why I want to make one.

No comments:

Post a Comment